Raveonettes Poster, Part 3: Follow up

Posted: November 28th, 2009 | Author: admin | Filed under: Raveonettes Concert Poster | Tags: , , , | 44 Comments »

We’re a few weeks behind in getting to this post, but better late than never?

Lisa and I attended the Raveonettes show, which was awesome, and got to see one of our silkscreened posters hanging in the protected display case at the Belly Up. Of course were couldn’t pass up the opportunity to get pictures with it!

raveonettes-bellyup-poster-in-case-2

raveonettes-bellyup-poster-in-case

Unfortunately the poster was slightly wrinkling due to excessive ink coverage (the paper was 100 lb cover). This is one of the other recent lessons learned (see squeegee post below). We have been trying to use 150-linescreens for multiple purposes and the problems with doing so became apparent when flooding such a large percentage of the poster paper with ink. We have now invested in some 250-linescreens for paper printing projects. -JM


Raveonettes Poster

Posted: October 11th, 2009 | Author: admin | Filed under: Final Prints, Raveonettes Concert Poster, Uncategorized | 69 Comments »

Raveonettes_poster_final

Second time is the charm! We got the dot pattern out of the pole, defining the “e” and making us very happy. We also altered the red ink a little so that it is more bright and saturated, an improvement from the first prints. Both Lisa and I are very pleased with the end result of this project. -JM


Raveonettes Concert Poster Process, Part 2: Printing

Posted: October 7th, 2009 | Author: admin | Filed under: Process, Raveonettes Concert Poster, Uncategorized | Tags: , , , | 60 Comments »

raveonettes-1stprint-closeup

The next step in our process after washing out the screens was making prints that combined the two layers into the finished product on high-quality paper.

We had some doubts about the main screen (for the red ink), primarily about the clarity and density of the half-tone pattern on the mic and most importantly the mic pole. It didn’t seem that enough of the dot pattern had washed out for the last “e” in Reveonettes to read, but we decided to go through with a few prints anyway to see how they worked.

We started by mixing the ink for the first screen. We were going for a blood red, not too primary, but also not too maroon.

Next, we aligned the first screen to the paper. We have been using the transparency as a way to help us align them evenly.

raveonettes-aligning-jason

raveonettes-aligning2

The first layer inked fairly evenly, and the color worked well on the paper. We dried them and then re-aligned with the second screen. This time we ran black ink for the microphone cord/noose.

The completed prints were moderately successful. We achieved the right look-and-feel for the band, and our alignment was working. But looking at the prints from the combined screens, we realized we really do want to get those half-tone dots washed out and fix a few other details that didn’t come through in the main screen.

Our plan is to burn a new screen and try again. New prints to come…-LS


Raveonettes Concert Poster Process

Posted: October 5th, 2009 | Author: admin | Filed under: Process, Raveonettes Concert Poster | Tags: , , , , , , , | 60 Comments »

We decided to tackle another concert poster, as both Lisa and I have always been big fans of music and the design that accompanies shows. Looking ahead we saw that the Raveonettes are coming to the Belly Up in November and decided that they would be band whose style would be interesting to translate into a Poster visual.  In our initial brainstorm session we tried to narrow down their musical aesthetic to a few main ideas and we ended up with: 50s/60s inspired, heavy feedback, and dark lyrical overtones. [We took on this poster for fun, so it is not officially gonna be sold at the concert or even used to promote the concert. However, it gave us some fun content to work with and hopefully it will be one step towards real opportunities in the future] -JM

Initial brainstorming
notebook-sketches

Comped layouts
Raveonettes_comp1

My trusty lightbox
lightbox

hand-drawn pieces
scans

refined layout comps
Raveonettes_comp2

We burnt the screens on Saturday and it went really smoothly. The only problem we experienced was washing out the detail of the halftone dots on the mic and also a few letters of the type at the bottom of the poster.

We reuse our screens when we are done with a project, but often ghost images of the old projects remain (see the remnants of the moviegoers poster on the screen below). The build up of faint layers of past projects is really starting to give the screens personality! (though it makes it a little difficult to discern the details of the new coated screen image on top)
raveonettes-process-1

raveonettes-process-2

Test prints on newsprint
raveonettes-process-3

Rinsing the ink out of the screen
raveonettes-process-4

Close-up shots of test prints
raveonettes-process-5

raveonettes-process-6

raveonettes-process-7

Stay tuned for the final poster prints!