Moviegoers Concert Poster

Posted: August 23rd, 2009 | Author: admin | Filed under: Final Prints, Moviegoers Concert Poster | Tags: , , , , , | 43 Comments »

Moveigoers_green

Moveigoers_orange

When the opportunity arose to try making concert posters for the Moviegoers, I thought it would be a good chance for us to try a client-oriented project with a deadline, but while still trying to maintain a focus on silkscreening as a creative outlet.

Technically, this project was a good step forward for us, as it had some thinner rules and smaller type than we had done in the past. Also, it involved aligning two colors. In the end, despite a few technical and weather-related problems (which you can read more about in the Process post, the finals achieved the right retro quality, and when they were trimmed with rounded corners, really stood out in the venue and around town from the other posters of the time.-LS


Moviegoers Concert Poster Process

Posted: August 23rd, 2009 | Author: admin | Filed under: Moviegoers Concert Poster, Process | Tags: , , , , , , | 67 Comments »

I have a lifetime love of cassettes, especially blank ones, which allowed me to discover and help others discover new bands, songs, and genres of music. They were some of the first items I made for people, not only crafting playlists, but also covers. Making tapes was a way to share and discover new bands, and with this poster I wanted to imply that these bands were ones to discover, like the bands I used to discover trading tapes. I found some good resource imagery online, and used one photo as the basis of the Illustrator drawing.

One problem we did face was a bad weather. We burn screens in the sun, which usually isn’t a problem in San Diego, except in the months of May and June, when it can be cloudy and rainy. The weather impacted our screening and delayed our process by at least a week.

When we did finally get the screens successfully burned, the process was fairly smooth. Jason mixed up the perfect green and orange colors for the posters, and it was great to know that we really could create the colors we wanted with accuracy. The Moviegoers had given us some Arches Watercolor paper to print on, and the color looked great on them. The finals had some texture in them that we hadn’t initially intended, but as we worked on them, we realized that for this project, the imperfections were adding to the nostalgia in a good way. Sometimes the unexpected is exactly what works best.-LS

Moviegoers_process_3

Moviegoers_process_1

Moviegoers_process_2